Welcome to our Blog!

Brandon and I would like to welcome you to our blog! Check it out for what's going on in our lives! If you need to get in touch with us, please email us at BranAnne@gmail.com or feel free to leave us a comment so we know you stopped by!

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ride of a Life

Last year I took up cycling as a form of exercise. It has allowed me once again to push myself to the limits of my physical fitness. Something I have not been able to do since my knee injury in 2000. Several months ago we purchased Anne a bike so she could ride with me. It is a joy for us to spend time together as we ride. not to mention Anne's natural ability has been fun to see.
On May 16th Anne and I signed up to ride in the Salt Lake Century. For those of you who are unaware, a century ride is typically an organized group road ride for a charity. Usually there are three route offerings, 40-50 miles, 60-80 miles or 100 miles (this is why they call it a century). For this particular ride Anne signed up to ride approx 40 miles and I had signed up for the 72 mile option.
As we reached closer to the first turn around Anne much to my excitement decided she would carry on after we take a break so she could complete the 72 miles! Well I could not let Anne out do me so I told here that I may go for the 100 miles! The great thing about this is up to that point Anne's longest ride was approx 20 miles. This means that to complete the course she would more than triple her longest ride. This is a huge undertaking. As for me my longest ride was in the range of 35-40 miles. So i had to double my efforts.
Net result was Anne completed the 72 miles, burned about 3000 calories and spent almost 4 hrs on her bike! I ended up completing 88 miles. I skipped riding out the causeway to Antelope Island because everyone was choking on bugs. it was nasty. Anyway, I spent 5 hrs on my bike burnt 5000 calories and averaged just over 17 miles per hour.
We had so much fun that we will be riding the Tour De Cure ride in Brigham City on June 13th. This time our fundraising efforts will benefit those living with diabetes. The American Diabetes Association puts on several of these charity rides each year throughout the country. We are happy to be part of this particular event.
If you would like to help make a difference and fight diabetes you can sponsor us by clicking on the two links below.
http://main.diabetes.org/goto/BrandonPack

2 comments:

Mendel Family said...

Good for you guys!!

Carleton & Robyn said...

Good for you guys. You look like total studos in the pic.